Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Heat Wave...

Currently, we are having a heat wave down here in the land of the swamp.
Which means it is hot.
DAMN hot!
Mosquitos are ignoring my tasty Irish blood and sucking on the ice cubes in my drink instead.
I take cold showers and then sit naked and wet in front of my air conditioner to dry off.
I watch web cams for cities in cooler climes...like in Alaska. Found one that was in the Arctic...that was refreshing to watch!
My t.v. viewing is following the same theme...Ice Road Truckers and Deadliest Catch, YES!
Hells Kitchen and anything that involves beaches, sunshine and heat, NO!

I have become a partial vampire of sorts...awake during the cooler evening and morning hours, asleep during the day.
The dogs (mine and my room mates) have followed suit. They plop down in the coolest part of my room (usually under my chair) and snooze away, knowing they'll get walked around 1 a.m.and then again at 6 a.m.
My cooking (usually a labor of love for me) has dwindled down to salads, with the occasional sandwich.
I really, REALLY wanted some cornbread today, but with the temperature hovering around 100 degrees and no ac in the kitchen...uhhhh...I can wait!

The heat makes everyone cranky.
The news here has been full of reports of assaults, robberies, shootings and the like.
You don't see that in the winter as much.
I think even the cops here are hoping for rain---maybe the crooks will stay in their houses if it rains. Maybe it will cool off and calm everyone down.
Someone once told me that the highest crime areas of the world are also the hottest areas.
I can believe that...this heat makes me cranky, too!

I need another cool shower...

No comments:

Post a Comment